Residential Accommodations

Q: What are Residential Accommodations?

Residential accommodations are accommodations and modifications made to university housing for students with disabilities. If you are interested in seeking residential accommodations please fill out a general application and provide documentation. Residential accommodations only apply to students who are living on campus. Students who live off campus do not need to apply for residential accommodations.

Please note that while a student may disclose disability and request accommodation at any point, we have deadlines regarding single room requests and for ESA accommodations. For Fall Semester as well as Summer Sessions, the deadline is June 1. For Spring Semester, the deadline is December 1. Requests made after these deadlines will be considered on an individual  basis, and approval may be deferred until the following semester depending on available space, and on administrative burden.


Q: How Do I Request an Emotional Support Animal?

Emotional Support Animals must be approved by the OAA and housing before arriving on campus.  Please visit our Emotional Support Animal page to review the policy and procedure regarding ESAs. As mentioned above, there are deadlines in place for ESA requests: For Fall Semester as well as Summer Sessions, the deadline is June 1. For Spring Semester, the deadline is December 1.


Q: How Do I Request a Single Room?


Some students may feel that they require a single room in order to attend college. Single rooms are considered based on access only, and cannot be provided to ensure academic success. Students requesting a single room based on disability may be asked about how the disability results in substantial limitation of one or more major life activities, and what barrier a shared living space provides. In addition, we will need to know how this barrier will be alleviated through a single room, and how this has been documented elsewhere in the student’s life. If a student has never shared a room before, more information may be requested. Students seeking a single room due to disability should fill out an application and submit documentation.

Single rooms may also be requested through the general room selection process. Many, if not most, students who prefer single rooms are able to get them using the room selection process. Please contact the Housing Department at or 828.251.6700 if you have questions about the general room selection process or single room requests not related to a disability. As mentioned above, there are deadlines for single room requests. For Fall Semester as well as Summer Sessions, the deadline is June 1. For Spring Semester, the deadline is December 1.


Q: I’ve Been Approved for a Residential Accommodation. What Do I Do Now?

If you have been approved for a residential accommodation, you will meet with a OAA staff member to go over the next steps.

If you’ve been approved for an Emotional Support Animal,  you need to meet with your Area Director after meeting with the Office of Accessibility.

If you do not know the identity of your Area Director, or need assistance connecting with them, please contact housing at or 828.251.6700.


Q: I Don’t Agree with the OAA’s Decision Regarding my Accommodation Request. What Can I Do?


If a student does not agree with the outcome of their request for accommodations, he/she/they may file a grievance.


Q: My Question isn’t Listed Here. May I Speak with a Staff Member?

Yes! Please email or call 828.232.5050.

If you would like to schedule a video meeting with a staff member, please make an appointment. When scheduling your appointment, select Office of Accessibility and General Information. Appointments are being scheduled both for in-person meetings in the OAA (lower level of Ramsey Library, in the Academic Success Center) or online using video conference. I